Support Wikipedia

Wikipedia Affiliate Button

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Movies I liked

Its not that I have been watching movies for many years(well, I am not that old...). It was only the days of engineering that I started watching movies.(By movies, I mean real movies, not just movies that we watch on weekends to socialize(better word for timepass ;-) ). Those were the days when I first started appreciating movies, but then at that time I had to watch movies that others already have... there was no choice, as there was no internet... Even if somebody recommends a movie, there was no guarantee that someday you would actually watch that movie....

This latter changed, when I had my own internet connection, and thanks to the bit torrent, now I could get any movie that I want...(well almost any).

Movie as a medium of expression, is very different from books, and essentially I don't like the idea of comparing movies, with their books. Or in general trying to compare movies and books. Both have their pros and cons. Movies are directed, stories are told. In movies director tries to explain his own interpretation, and that is the very fact that makes movies different. Books leave interpretation open to readers, and hence readers imagine whatever they think of, which latter movies cannot conform with, and hence the disappointment...

I would enlist here some of my favorite movies. Most of them are English. Hindi cinema has still not matured enough from my perspective(well, it still lacks integrity). This does not mean that it lacks quality, but it seriously lacks story line. I mean Hindi movies are perfect for the audience they are targeting, but stories are pretty predictable, subject is very common and so on.
I am not listing parallel cinema here, and frankly speaking I have not seen much of them(this is one area I would like to explore, inputs are welcome)

I would categorize movies at very low granular level, and it would be interesting for anybody to watch movies in one category and then compare them(I would appreciate comments if any). First line represents summary as a feeling that you would have at the end of the movie. Actually most of them are very popular and hence I would have liked to avoid them, but at least few of them are non main steam. But it seems that its very difficult to avoid these main stream movies completely...

1) Memory, the ultimate thing that gives us the meaning
Memento, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

2) Whoa! my perspective was totally different
Matrix(part one), Sixth sense, The Others

3) Violence... is this the solution?
Munich, Hotel Rwanda

4) True story? It cant be true
Motorcycle Diaries, Raid on Entebbe, Catch me if you can, American Gangster

5) You cannot escape the death
Final Destination

6) Animation it its best!
Toy Story(1 and 2), Finding Nemo, Madagascar

7) The beautiful face of the human relationship
Dil Chahata Hai(between three friends), Swades(he and his country), Taare zamin par(teacher and his dyslexic student), Crash(between different elements of society), Dor(two young girls), Babel

8) Love... you gotta feel it!
Serendipity, Love Actually, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge

9) History was amazing!
Kingdom Of Heaven, Troy, The Last Samurai

10) War... the ultimate mirror of human capabilities
Saving Private Ryan, Enemy At The Gates

11) Fantasy...
Lord of the Rings(all three parts), Van Helsing, Pirates of the Caribbean(all parts)

12) Scifi is terrific!
Matrix(all parts), Jurassic Park, Terminator(part one), Transformers

13) Comedy
Chaos Theory, Herapheri, Hungama, Love ke liye sala kuch bhi karega

14) Miscellaneous
The Godfather, Sarkar, Goodfellas, The Bourne Identity, Cast Away, Cliffhanger, Gangajal, Mumbai meri jaan, Johny Gaddar

15) Marathi
Bindhast, 10vi pha, Dombivali fast, Shwaas, Checkmate,

(This does not list all the movies, I would like to update it from time to time, any comments are most welcome)

No comments: